Saturday, August 6, 2011

Trip to Western NY

Karen was starting to get antsy working every day to support my retired butt so she declared it was time for a mini vacation. We loaded up the bikes, car, and food into the RV and banished the dog to the kennel. The campground we stayed was Chautauqua Koa a very nice place but odd in that over half the campsites were year round with their campers being these things that looked like half way between a camper and a mobile home. Maybe Tim TPC can enlighten me on what this was all about.
Anyway I will spare you all the boring stuff about drinking beer and eating way too much like we always do when we camp. I might explain that Karen's idea of camping is staying in a bad Holiday Inn. But she loves the motor-home. for one thing it is nicer than our house. And if we keep making payments for about ten years after I die it will be all mine..Ahh the American dream..

By now you realize that I have zero writting skills and  jump form subject to subject at will..Ya just have to put up with me.

Ok what I really wanted to talk about was riding my bike around the Chautauqa Lake area. The road from the campground was really cool, seemed almost straight down. By the time I got to the stop sign I was going about 30 pretty fast for me. I was thinking maybe the whole ride will be down hill...not really. As you wind around the lake the road is constantly changing elevation. It did seem like more up than down but I managed to climb all the hills and roll down the valleys. As you may remember I usually only ride 10-15 miles a ride as I am old and fat and not quite in shape ( oh wait round is a shape). After I got out about six miles I thought maybe I should turn around as I do have to get back to the campsite sometime before dark...Holy crap the trip back seemed all uphill. And if you remember the 30 miles per hour section starting out was just a killer going the other direction. I have to admit I got off and walked for the last half mile, my legs felt like they had been run over by a truck. I did make it back to camp in time for happy hour and those cold ones tasted extra good...

The next day we went and did touristy things. We stopped at a place called Panama Rocks. The guy running the place said the trail is about 1.5 miles long and should take about an hour and half to finish. I was thinking even I could walk faster than that..maybe not. It was really cool with all these huge rocks that formed caves and passageways that were too skinny for me to squeeze through. I looked up and Karen was standing on top of a rock about 30 feet above me. She says why don't you climb up here too. By now I was soaked in sweat and puffing like a steam engine..no honey I think I will just sit here and have a hear attack..I guess if you stayed on the trail it might be  a mile and half but if you explore the rocks it seems like 10 miles. Even Karen was sweating and she never sweats ( she is the exercise queen).

So what do you do when you are sweaty and your ankles and legs are burned...go to a bike shop and dream of all those cool bikes that you won't own. The sales guy was pretty nice he only giggled a little when I told him my current  bike is a 14 year old hybrid..He was dying to show someone the new bike he had just sold. holy crap it was almost all carbon fiber. He said pick it up, I could pick it up with one finger. I'm thinking wow cool I need one of these. A couple of things stopped me from pulling out the plastic, first was it had a 250lb weight limit. Well I am loosing weight but I am still 14 pounds too heavy...bummer. then he told me it was about eight thousand dollars I think my shocked expression made him realize that he would not be selling the second one of those to me and all of the sudden he had something important to do on the other side of the store.
Well that's the end of that adventure...

While

No comments:

Post a Comment