Thursday, August 30, 2012

Unexpected Niceness

As rule I try to ride one of my bicycles every other day, sometimes I hit the trails on my project bike and other days it's time for road miles. I am a pretty friendly guy so I try to say hello to people I see along the road or trails. One thing I have noticed is people in their yards or walker/runners will usually say hello. Bicyclists seem to have an aversion to acknowledging me, not sure if it's because I am an OFG or they don't notice me but over the last year I have given up for the most part on even expecting a nod.

Yesterday was one of those days that I was supposed to ride but had zero urge to ride. I finally said ok I have to do this so I will do my 12 mile loop that is short but has some decent climbs. About 8 miles out I hear a voice say I am behind you. At first I thought that my pace had slowed so much that the runners were catching up but a quick look showed another cyclist behind me. Wow this is different. Then the guy started commenting on my bike and how it was pretty similar to his. After we made the turn for the final 3 miles of hills he pulled alongside and we chatted the whole way up the hill (with me huffing and puffing). At one point I told him I was thinking of stopping and he said please don't do that I am in high gear and couldn't get started if we do. I was in my low ring so I decided I better just keep going. I admit I had to look over and see if he was in high gear, and he was and just pedaling along like he riding on the flats.

It only took one person being nice and not worrying that I was less fit or skilled to renew my faith in mankind. I am looking forward to meeting up with David on another ride.

And for Tim Joe, guess what, he lives in a trailer park.....


2 comments:

  1. Well, now, Doug, there ain't nothin' like a humble lifestyle to remind ya that we are all in it together. And I want to tell you something: when I started my Blog it was for us (ahem) Elder Clydes. Bicycle writing and advertising tends to favor the young and sleek (and apparently well-to-do), a group I am not a member of and probably never will be. (I'm positive about the young part.)

    But I saw a hole in the market and the Blogsphere for those of us who were not born knowing a presta from a schrader or the intricacies of a rear derailleur or exactly what that was. Since then my knowledge has deepened considerably but I somehow lost track of what I was trying to do and started being the Trailer Park Cyclist, loyal friend of man (and women) and source of joy and cycling superfluities to the masses.

    Then just now I read your post and I said "Hey Tim Joe, that simple little story about a moment in cycling was the heart of your pages before you became world famous and obtained a readership of six people."

    The point? I don't know. I just like to type. But not really. What I really am trying to say is that while you may not have readers now, you will. When I started my little thing I was just trying to think out loud and continue on the trajectory created by my initial home run over at Fat Cyclist. But that is (very slowly) turning into a happy life that was on the wane before I began.

    My reason for encouraging others to write it down for all to see is a selfish one. I might read something that changes my day, if not my life.

    Your post today is that kind of thing.

    tj

    ReplyDelete