Sunday, August 26, 2012

My friend Tim Joe the Trailer Park Cyclist sent me an e-mail today reminding me that it had been over a year since I last posted on my Blog. He also rather firmly reminded me that everyone has interesting things going on in their lives. Sometimes I forget that to keep a friendship going it has to be a two way exchange. to anyone that looks at my bloog I apologize for not keeping in touch, I will try and do better.
One of the major things that has been going on for the last year is my Dad has stage 4 prostrate cancer. It's hard to even think about much less write about it but maybe writing about it will help me come to terms with it all. When the doc gave him his sentence or diagnose depending how you look at it he looked him in the eye and said ok, how long should I expect to live. The doc mumbled and talked about treatment options and such.. My Dad told him that after watching my Mom get cooked with radiation and chemo and still dying he was having none of it. Then to add insult to injury the doc told him if they cut off his testicles that could add a few months to his life. I didn't hear what he said to that but I'm pretty sure it was something like are you F..ing crazy. So now when I visit him and ask how is he doing he always responds with I'm dying what do you think. Now I understand why I am such a cantankerous old coot I come from a long line of them.
After being retired for a while it has finally sunk in that making half of what I used to make working in academia can impact your cash-flow. So we decided to sell my beloved 1968 Pearson wanderer sailboat. The boat is all payed for but the yearly fees suck you dry. So far no one has come up with the cash but it's only a matter of time.
Ok that was depressing now for the good stuff I have been riding my bike or should say bikes every available hour  and still really enjoying it. The new trek I bought last year gets the lions share of the riding doing about a thousand miles since last August. But I also got addicted to trail riding as well so I bought a couple of used MTBs for Karen and I. The MTB I ride is too funny, I went to look at it from an add on Craigslist, guy said it was perfect and a late 90s.. Hmm..turns out it was a 94 Trek 8000. Great bike when it was new that was before it went to war or something like that. It had two flat tires, brakes so hard I thought they were rocks, cables loose frayed and sticking, the chain was so loose it was just hanging down. I asked the guy how much cause I thought the add said $200 and that couldn't be for this bike. He said yes that was correct. I actually laughed at him. I said lets get closer to reality. When I explained how much it would cost to make this hunk of aluminum into a bike he just looked like I just kicked him. He said his wife just had a baby and at some point she showed up with it. I wanted to offer him $50 but I have been in a tough situation where you have to sell anything you have get by. I told him I was being stupid but I offered him $100. He looked like he just won the lottery. Yes I payed way to much for that old bike but every time I ride it  I think about that big red haired kid with his red haired baby and maybe it helped them a little..
Doug

5 comments:

  1. Ain't it funny what you don't know about people you've known a long time? Thanks Doug.

    ReplyDelete
  2. True enough Wayward, really enjoyed your latest blog as well. See ya on the road.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  3. Doug!

    You paid exactly the right amount for the bike, the price set by your heart. The hundred dollar bills come and go, but that simple act will be with you forever and I am glad for you. Now you get to fix up your Trek. Gypsy Nick is building a bike for his friend Lael right now, you might want to go see:

    http://gypsybytrade.wordpress.com/

    Also the fantastic Hugh:

    http://hughsbicycle.blogspot.com/

    I would like to say I am sorry about the boat decision, but in reality I am not. We all know the two best days of boat ownership. A few years ago, while riding the crest of the real estate boom, I spent many happy (and soggy) hours drinking in the cockpit of a '75 Colvin Gazelle. The owner was at wit's end, the only way he could afford to dock his boat was keeping it at the For Sale slips at the brokerage in St. Pete. Me, I had more dough than I knew what to do with and so I was ready to put the cash on the table. But one morning, I woke up and knew I wasn't going to do it. After a lifetime of dreams of sailboats and faraway adventures, I backed out. I really wanted that boat but the reality of slip fees and maintenance and sails and diesels (!) and the certain knowledge that one day I would be the hungry guy selling my boat...well, I still wonder what if, sometimes, but then I got into bicycles and I am glad of it. They're cheap! They seem to cost a lot when you are fixing them up, but compared to a big boat they are practically free. And they are good for you, mentally and physically.

    (I hijack the comments section on my friend's Blogs all the time. I have written more in Comments than on my own page. Is it considered rude? Who cares?)

    Doug, I have always kept journals and written letters. I thought I was going to make a living at it but when I found out that you have to actually write something before you get the Pulitzer I said phooey and became a carpenter, among other things. But in the course of all those years of putting my thoughts, opinions and feelings into written form I learned something: I could write my way out of anything. Grief, loss, financial disaster, divorce: putting it down somehow pulled the poison out of my soul and sat it down where it could be read, reviewed, thought about; discarded.

    Good times could be remembered and sometimes I go back and read about a period of my life and I wonder how I survived so much anguish and heartbreak and then I realize that yeah, I'm stronger inside than I thought I was and there's a written record to prove it. Hah!

    So thanks for having the strength to make a couple wry (and poignant) comments about your Dad and his travails, I'll bet you had to give it some thought before you pressed the "Publish" button. I hope you will continue to put it down. It is a good thing to do and someday you will be glad you did.

    tj

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got to your blog by way of TJ. I read with interest on your thoughts about your Dad. I lost my Dad in Dec of 2010. We were close friends yet from afar. He lived in Albuquerque about an eight hour drive south of me. I choose to focus on the great times we shared instead of the last year of his life in the nursing home. It still leaves a hole in my collective soul.
    TJ has been encouraging me to put my thoughts down in blog form, I belive I am a suppressed writer waiting for encouragement.
    Could we possibly have this in common? Encourage by a crazy trailer park carpenter who shares a respect for bikes and cycling? Nice to meet you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim,
    Nice to see someone other than Tim Joe and Wayward reading the posts.
    It took for long years of suffering for my Mom to pass my Dad seems like he is just ready to go. I feel like you know when that time is coming and you have to decided to fight it or let it wash over you. I guess my Dad decided on the latter.
    Thanks for your response.

    ReplyDelete